My Life as a Mom

Feel free to contact me: shirleykeeldar@poetic.com

With 6 happy kids, life can be really fun around here! This blog is dedicated to the joys and sometimes chaos of having a large family. Okay, so it's always chaos around here, but fortunately, it's almost always fun, too!

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Here's a laundry tip for large families:

I always let the kids help me with the laundry. The older ones can now handle all the laundry by themselves! They don't do all the laundry all the time, but they can, so that's a real good thing, certainly.

Each kid has a laundry job. We'll rotate the jobs after a few months. One kid sorts all the laundry by color. (Usually a younger child has this job.) One runs the washer, one runs the dryer.

For folding, they sit in a big circle in the living room, and I hold up an article of clothing and say, "whose is this?" The right child yells out his name, and I toss to him and he folds it and puts it in his pile.

This really saves my own back (folding clothes is hard on my back) and makes the job so much faster. It's really fun, too, because it turns it into a game.

I don't worry if the clothes aren't folded to "my" standards. I get to fold my own clothing, and I can be as big a perfectionist as I want on those. For the kids, they're learning, and they get better at it each time.

Scientology Resource Directory - Kids & Teens