My Life as a Mom

Feel free to contact me: shirleykeeldar@poetic.com

With 6 happy kids, life can be really fun around here! This blog is dedicated to the joys and sometimes chaos of having a large family. Okay, so it's always chaos around here, but fortunately, it's almost always fun, too!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I read about the candlelight vigils planned around the US in support of Cindy Sheehan. We found out in time, and headed out to our local vigil.

It was very pleasant - about 200 - 250 people. The older kids came with me, and we talked about war and violence, and the human toll involved.

I was surprised at the reactions from people driving by - a lot of people honked their horns, and I know they couldn't read our signs from where they were. I think they all assumed it was an anti-war protest, either that, or they had heard about it on the news. A lot of hands forming the peace sign being waved out of car windows. On the other side, there were a few cars with hands coming out of windows, flipping us the bird. It didn't surprise me that those who want peace sent gentle signs - and those who support the war were willing to use violent gestures.

I like that my kids are socially aware - I wasn't sure about going to the vigil, but they insisted. I like that they are willing to speak out and do something about it.

Towards Peace