My Life as a Mom

Feel free to contact me: shirleykeeldar@poetic.com

With 6 happy kids, life can be really fun around here! This blog is dedicated to the joys and sometimes chaos of having a large family. Okay, so it's always chaos around here, but fortunately, it's almost always fun, too!

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Every Christmas our family plans some sort of volunteer activity. I feel it is really important to show the kids that giving is as much fun as receiving.

I remember one year when one of my sons was insistent on giving away his most beloved toy to the foster kids' toy donation box at Winter Wonderland in Hollywood. It was a funny plastic dinosaur. He was 2 years old, and carried that thing around with him everywhere. His heart was so big, and he loved his toy so much, that he could think of nothing better than to give it to another child who needed a toy.

This kind of generosity is natural to children, and I think it's important to acknowledge it and nurture it.

The kids have helped wrap Christmas presents for the fosters kids in Los Angeles, with other members of our church.